The Descendants of Abraham, My Friend
Today’s Text: Isaiah 41:8-14
As Cyrus of Persia and his army advanced across the Middle East, the nations turned to their impotent gods in abject fear. At the same time, Jehovah comforts Israel through the prophet Isaiah:
“But you, Israel, are My servant,
Jacob whom I have chosen,
The descendants of Abraham My friend.
You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth,
And called from its farthest regions,
And said to you,
‘You are My servant,
I have chosen you and have not cast you away:
Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
“Behold, all those who were incensed against you
Shall be ashamed and disgraced;
They shall be as nothing,
And those who strive with you shall perish.
You shall seek them and not find them—
Those who contended with you.
Those who war against you
Shall be as nothing,
As a nonexistent thing.
For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand,
Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’
“Fear not, you worm Jacob,
You men of Israel!
I will help you,” says the Lord
And your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
While it is easy to be overwhelmed by circumstances in the world, the words, “fear not,” reverberate throughout this passage.
God alone, as the “Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel,” holds onto His Chosen People’s collective right hand as they face enemies. Based on His friendship with Abraham and choice of Jacob’s descendants, God not only promises to strengthen, uphold and help His Chosen People, but to vanquish their enemies.
Charles E. McCracken is an international Bible teacher, long-time friend of Israel and advocate for the Jewish people. Known for authentically communicating biblical truth, Rev. McCracken’s presentations are relevant for those seeking to understand the significance of Israel and the church in Bible prophecy. He staunchly supports the nation of Israel and the Jewish people’s right to exist and live in peace.
© Charles E. McCracken 2016, devotional comments only. Repost/Reprint with permission from the author via Contact Form under ABOUT. Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved. (Emphasis added.)
1) The Bible is the FOUNDATION for life. By Ken Horn, [CC BY 2.0] via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
2) Halutzim (Pioneers), in Tel Aviv, circa 1934. By דר’ הנס לוירר [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
3) Members of Israeli summer youth programs eCamp relaxing. August 6, 2009. By eCamp (Own work) [GFDL-1.1], via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
4) Eight-year-old Yisrael Meir (Lulek) Lau is held by a fellow Buchenwald survivor, Elazar Schiff, as they arrive in Palestine (Israel) aboard the RMS “Mataroa,” Haifa, July 15, 1945. [Public domain] via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
5) The Chief of the General Staff, Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, bids farewell to the Central Command during his last round of visits to all units and commands in the army. As part of his visit, the Chief of Staff met with civilians living in the area and toured the command with them, February 6, 2011. By Israel Defense Forces (Chief of Staff Visits Central Command) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
6) Residents of Moshav Tsofit. ארכיון מושב צופית [CC BY 2.5], via Wikimedia Commons – Enhancement: MKM Portfolios
Categories: FOUNDATION, Israel's Restoration
You must be logged in to post a comment.